Friday 23 September 2011

Windows 8: How to get the name of the machine

Windows 8 Develop Preview is very cool! Recently when I was trying to Remote Desktop to my new machine I realized that my usual way of finding the computer name (right clickng on the "Computer" icon and selecting properties ) was not going to work.

How to get the computer name on Windows 8:
  • Get to a "CMD" / "Command Prompt" and type in "ipconfig /all" which will give you the below details:

On the first line of the output is the computer name which I have placed a red box around. Another reason why I like to use "ipconfig /all" is that if you are having DNS issues on your network you also have the IP Address of the computer to use to connect with.

One of the reasons Windows is so popular is that you can get to almost anything in Windows 100 different ways. Please share other ideas to get the computer name so we can all learn.

1 comment: