Friday 23 September 2011

Hyper-V: Creating a new virtual machine

I do a lot of debugging and am also involved in a lot of technology previews. In my experience I have best been served experiencing and debugging new technology on virtual machines. As I am about to install the new Windows 8 OS on a Virtual Machine I thought I would share the steps I follow when setting up a new VM. Below is an article from Microsofts TechNet that describes how to create a virtual machine but it lacks the detail that someone new to Virtual Machines would need:
Below are images that show how I filled out the Virtual Machine Wizard:







NOTE: how I am selecting an existing Virtual Hard Disk? You can see how I created the new disk in this blog post: http://nkeithtaylor.blogspot.com/2011/09/hyper-v-creating-new-hard-disk-for-your.html


Once you click Finish in the Virtual Machine Wizard, Microsoft Hyper-V will create your new Virtual Machine that will be our starting point for installing Windows 8 in this case but can easily accept almost any OS.

No comments:

Post a Comment